- Toplou Monastery (Panagia Akrotiriani) the fortress monastery that according to the legend got its name due to the canon the monastery had for its protection from pirates
- Ayia Sofia (Greek Αγιά Σοφιά) monastery , at Armenoi , abandoned ,with the ruins showing its past glory. One of the first primary schools of Sitia District were founded at the monastery.
- Epano Kasteli (Greek Επάνω Καστέλι ) the church within the venetian fortress of Monte Forte. Feel the medieval vibes of the Byzantine and Venetian era, who considered the location suitable for their guard so to protect the district. Wonderful view , towards the Cretan and Liviko sea, when the wind allows
- Kapsa Monastery, located at the south coast with the wonderful view towards the Liviko sea.
- Agioi Apostoloi (Greek Άγιοι Απόστολοι), dedicated to the apostles Peter (Greek Πέτρος –Petros) and Paul (Greek Παύλος- Pavlos) at the abandoned village of Adromiloi (Greek Αδρομύλοι), established within the 15th
The church of Agios Georgios
- The church of Agios Georgios (Saint George Greek Άγιος Γεώργιος) at Piskokefalo, with the Kornaros sign , and believed to be under the ownership of the powerful Venetian Family.
The church of Agios Vasileios
- The church of Agios Vasileios (greek Άγιος Βασίλειος ) , at Pano Episkopi (Greek Πάνω Επισκοπή). The renovation requested almost 3000 egg shells , following byzantine engineering for its plaster.
Liopetro or Leon di Petra considered as one of the most powerful fortresses of the Venetian era, now a ghost of the past with the church of Profiti Ilia (Greek Προφήτης Ηλίας) considered to be built upon the ruins of an ancient temple,. The location was a strategic spot , since there is a view facing towards the Western and Eastern Cretan coast.
The church of Virgin Mary
- The church of Virgin Mary (Greek Παναγία- Panagia), at Pano Episkopi (Greek Πάνω Επισκοπή). Pano Episkopi ( exact translation episcopacy/bishopric located in the interior of the land or high grounds) was the residence of the Latin Bishop during the Venetian era.
Sign in for an excursion
Personalize your experience by contacting us. Activities for children, hiking routes (mapped or not), visit Sitia Global Geopark (caves,gorges, vegetation-plantation)